Thursday, September 24, 2026

A Rule of Thumb

A rule of thumb, a phrase I've said many times without thinking too much about where it came from. Just like I've felt the contraction and expansion of daylight through the year without thinking about the tilt of the earth, the angle of the sun. Today we looked at things we take for granted and saw them in a different way.

Have you ever thought of your body as a ruler? A compass? A clock? Turns out it can be all three. Together we celebrated the Fall almost-equinox by measuring the height of the sun from the horizon using our fists and arms. Though it was a cloudy day so we couldn't completely confirm that the sun was behind our pointed fingers, we all arced through the sky in the same celestial dance, and the time of year was embodied in each of us. Even more accurately, the position of our precious hurdling rock in relation to our source of life was embodied.

I typically like to celebrate the equinoxes and solstices in some way. Whether it's a small way to mark the day like lighting a candle, or something more deliberate like a dinner with friends. But in the rush of this new program I was swept up in all the work and I completely forgot about the equinox. I was so glad to mark the occasion collectively, all of us small little beings tracing the pattern of our life source in the sky. This exercise reminded me to slow down enough to feel connected with the universe again. After all, that's all we are anyway.


A sunset on Hornby island, featuring my friend's dog Avon




No comments:

Post a Comment

Cultivating Community

How did this get here? Something I often think about in the grocery store. I am very interested in food and where it comes from. I am sadden...