I chose my sit space because of the wild nature of the garden visible from my spot. I have an affinity for gardens that more faithfully reflect the randomness and diversity found in nature. Sketching this garden not only allowed me to appreciate the beauty of the moment, but it was time I got to pause and reflect. I noticed the depth and layers of the garden in front of me and thought about my own learning in this program. It has been a long time since I've been in school, since I've learned something new in such a holistic manner, and it's overwhelming. But at the same time it feels good to stretch my brain and approach school with a fresh openness that I didn't feel when I first went to university.
On my bike ride home I was thinking about the sit spot sketching exercise and the lessons therein. I appreciated the comparison of mathematical generalization to a sketch or image of something found in nature, and how we can find mathematical concepts all around us (for example, angles and shapes). However the lesson that I appreciated most was that many of us were uncomfortable sketching and Susan pointed out that remembering this feeling can help us empathize with our students who feel uncomfortable doing math. Getting us to embody discomfort so we can be more mindful of the discomfort of others was a fantastic lesson, one that I think will stick with me for a long, long time.

No comments:
Post a Comment